Buying or selling a home normally takes two to three months. The process can take longer if you’re part of a chain of buyers and sellers.
There are several steps you’ll need to follow:
- sellers must provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
- if a seller is using an estate agent, potential buyers must make any offers through the agent
- once a buyer’s offer has been accepted, the seller’s responsible for drawing up a legal contract to transfer ownership
- an offer isn’t legally binding until contracts are exchanged
- depending on the amount given for property, the buyer may have to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax
- This guide relates to England and Wales. Shelter has advice about buying and selling a home in Scotland.
If you’re buying property with someone else
You can own a home with up to three other people. Find out more about the different types of joint property ownership.